Here’s another progress update for the month of February. It’s super exciting to know that our email list has grown a lot since the last update, so if you’re getting this in your inbox – welcome! We’ve got a few things to share from the past month, although most of it has been related to business (paperwork, trademark filing, incorporation). That’s boring, so we’ll cut to the chase starting with our new series of comics that kicked off in January!
Armor Blitz Adventures + New Music
If you’ve been following our social media, you have probably seen the little 4koma style comic strips. This is something that we have lots of fun making, and each strip really fills out the personality of our characters. The reception has been great so far, so we’ll keep working hard to make more. Here’s a teaser for the next one: LIGHTNING! Expect to see that one done in ~2 weeks time.
There’s also a new section on our blog here called Adventures! That will be the archive for each of our Armor Blitz Adventures pieces if you need to catch up on the previous ones.
Another cool thing that happened in January is a new musical piece commissioned by the lovely Phyrnna! If you haven’t listened to it yet, get excited.
Some things were broken… so we fixed them
Just like the subheading says, we were having a weird bug with save data being lost. Our internal testing had slowed down greatly as a result (among other reasons). Obviously that’s not what we want, so that should be resolved now! Our main goal right now is to complete the networking features like analytics monitoring and online interaction.
On a positive note, our first iteration of optimization is complete (asset bundling). It’s a progressive thing, so of course the task is more long term, but loading speed is a lot better now! One of the other things we need to do to reduce filesize is programmatic cropping of cards. We have various sizes (small, large, extra large) for portraits. Having each of these not only takes extra steps to produce, but it also increases overall file size by a lot. Our goal is to come up with an algorithm to chop out the parts we need, when we need it.
Last time I sent out a letter to everyone, I did promise news on our public alpha build. Because of some of the problems listed in this post, we had gotten stuck on progression. Also, all of our members are part-time volunteers/students, so depending on work schedule we only have limited hours in the day. Although we can’t talk about everything going on behind the scenes, our team is doing TONS of stuff to make the project a success. With that in mind, our goal is:
Public Alpha test in the third week of March.